Learn to Ring

In the Diocese of London there are over 100 churches or buildings with bells hung for full circle ringing. On a typical Sunday the bells of around 70% of these can be heard being rung either by the local band or by ringers from other towers. The remaining 30% are silent because there simply are no ringers to ring them or the bells are in need of restoration.

The Association is constantly seeking ways to address this situation. Contact with these ‘silent’ towers is made to first ensure that the bells are maintained and kept safe to be rung. Secondly,  to support any opportunity to train a local band.

Ringing is well within the capabilities of most people. The initial learning takes several weeks, after which you can begin to ring with the rest of the band (that’s what we call a team of people who ring together). Most ringers practise once or twice a week and ring before or after church service on Sunday.

Ringers come from all walks of life, and learn at different ages.  A recent young (teenage) ringer says this about ringing: “Over the past 2-3 years I have learned a lot, and it has helped me improve my social skills and confidence as well as team integration.  Bell ringing also has opened up the opportunity of going to new and exciting places which I always look forward to.  I would highly recommend it to anyone!”

Learning to ring is much like learning to play any musical instrument – it takes practice and there are countless levels of skill to explore

Why learn to ring?

  • Develop a lifelong learning experience
  • Maintain a traditional skill
  • Provide a service to the church and the general community, as well as for those getting married, celebrating another special occasion, and saying goodbye to a loved one in a very special way
  • Take part in a team activity
  • Share stories and receive support (not just about ringing) and friendship in the pub after practice
  • Have a great mental workout


By having regular ringing at every tower, ideally though the existence of a local band, the Association plays its part in ensuring the continuance of the ancient art of bell ringing.

If you would like to find how you can participate in or support this living heritage we look forward to hearing from you using the form below.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Your Post Code (required)

    Where did you hear about bellringing? (required)

    Input this code: captcha