The Association has an active and experienced Bell Restoration Committee (BRC) headed by the Bell Restoration Officer (BRO). In addition to administering the Bell Restoration Fund (http://www.bellringing.london/bell-restoration-fund/) the BRC offers advice and practical assistance on bell matters to churches throughout the Diocese of London. This includes bells not hung for full circle ringing.
Some recent major projects in which the BRC has been involved are:
- installation of new rings of bells (Christ Church, Hampstead and St Mary, Kilburn);
- re-hanging of existing rings in a new frame with new fittings (City, St Katherine Cree);
- re-hanging of existing rings in an existing frame with new fittings (Christ the Saviour, Ealing and St Anne, Highgate);
- re-greasing bearings (St Martin, Gospel Oak; St John the Baptist, Hillingdon; St Andrew, Uxbridge; St Margaret, Uxbridge; St Barnabas, Pimlico and All Hallows’, Tottenham).
Help has also been given with smaller jobs such as:
- Replacing pulleys (St Mark, Dalston; St Barnabas, Pimlico and St Anne, Highgate).
- Day to day problems with pulleys, ropes, clappers, and odd noises.
Advice is also available on mobile phone base stations. Courses on bell maintenance are available either as part of the Training Programme (http://www.bellringing.london/training/) or tailored to meet individual tower needs (e.g. newly appointed Steeple Keeper) via the District Representatives on the BRC.
The District Representative on the BRC are:
- North & East: Michael Royalton-Kisch: firstname.lastname@example.org & Martin Sutcliffe: 020 8368 1974 and email@example.com
- Southern: Currently both posts are vacant and being covered by the BRO.
- Western: Michael Palmer, 018 9525 3795, firstname.lastname@example.org & John Barrance, 020 8578 0866, email@example.com
The committee also has an industrial vacuum cleaner, a circular saw and a folding ladder. These are available for use in towers via the BRO.